I have made progress on the scrappy triangles. I have used most of the scrappiest of scraps, some of the pieces were only 2 inches by 4 inches. I divided the material into four categories, dark, mid tone darks, mid tone lights and lights. Then I just stitched until each of the piles were gone. These are the triangles before I worked out a layout for them.
Because I did not make a plan for this quilt and just sewed until all the fabric was gone I was left with a surprise about how the layout would look. I was not sure if there would be enough of each colour way to develop a pleasing effect. Anyway luck was on my side. I had just enough of each piece to make the following layout.
Sorry about the blue colour cast in the photo, but the light was very poor. I am not sure when I am going to do more work on this quilt because I now have another new project to work on.
My sister-in-law asked me to make a quilt for her daughter-in-laws’ birthday. I have about a month to get it done. I suspect it might take a little longer than a month.
She asked if I could make something with an art deco design. I agreed to give it a go.
This turned out to be a very fortunate request.
About a year ago I purchased the EQ7 quilting programme, I had not used it very much because I was still working out how to use the programme, I had found it to be a little challenging. One of the many functions the programme offers is the capacity to import and trace around an image and convert it into a patchwork pattern.
Luckily for me my husband makes lead light in his spare time and he happened to have a pattern book of art deco designs.
I scanned the design and then entered it into the EQ programme, used the drawing tool to trace around the design, and re-sized the design to fit the finished size of the quilt.
Fantastic programme that has opened up a whole new world of quilt design possibilities.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I am going to make a quilt for my newly born great-nephew but I was struggling to find inspiration. Now my head is buzzing with ideas and I can hardly wait to begin both quilts.
By the end of the coming weekend I hope to purchase the fabric for the art deco quilt and make a start on sewing it. Yes, despite having a cupboard full of fabric I have to purchase more. I just did not have enough in the right colours. I will be looking for 1930’s fabrics in greens and yellows, that’s the plan, so I’m hoping the local quilting shop has plenty in stock for me to choose from.