Here’s an update of my progress with the quilt my sister- in- law has asked me to make. Initially I did not think I would have it finished in time for her daughter-in-laws birthday but I have made more progress over the weekend than I expected.
My trip to the local fabric shop proved to be very successful. I wanted yellow, green and orange fabrics that had a 1930’s feel. I managed to find exactly the look I was after, the final fabrics are pictured below.
I haven’t decided on the backing fabric yet, I will wait til the top is finished and then decide what looks best.
I have been thinking about the quilting. Originally I thought I would do some heavy geometric “ruler work” because I have seen some beautiful work that other people have done and I thought this quilt would be a perfect opportunity to give it a go. But now I am thinking I might be a bit less ambitious and try to just replicate the sunray effect of the piecing. At least I don’t have to decide just yet.
I have learnt how to better use the EQ programme, for example, I set the seam allowance to a 1/4inch, but when I started stitching the pieces together I used a scant 1/4 inch and of course this did make a difference to how the pieces fitted together. A good reminder to stitch with the actual seam allowance on the pattern and not the one used by habit.
I have also learnt that particular care and fore thought needs to go into the drawing component of the programme. When I drew the pattern up I did not carefully consider the piecing order, this has made some sections more difficult to put together than they needed to be. It would have been wise of me to use the zoom tool so that I could have a closer look at how the sections joined.
But overall the pattern is working out really well and the piecing has been much easier than I initially expected.
Cutting out the pattern has also taught me that sometimes using a fabric glue stick is a very hand thing to do. Initially I pinned the pattern pieces to the fabric and then used the rotary cutter and quilting ruler for the long straight edges. The pins made it difficult to lay the ruler on the pattern and the pins also distorted the lay of the fabric. I was concerned that any distortion in the fabric would be magnified when I sewed it together. To get around this I decided to used a few dabs of a fabric glue stick on the pattern pieces. This kept the fabric nice and flat and made it easy to cut out.
Once I cut out all the pieces and sorted them into their colour ways I began stitching them together.
The pattern has a number of curved seams at the base of the design. Originally I thought I would applique the arc pieces when all the other sections were completed. However once I began sewing I realised this was not going to be possible and I would have to sew the curved pieces. All I can say is, I am very pleased that I have done quite a lot of clothes sewing in the past. Knowing how to set sleeves into shirts and dresses saved me a lot of grief with this quilt and I am very pleased with the nice flat finish that I achieved.
The next curved seam is going to be a little more difficult as it requires sewing a curved piece into a Y seam. I suspect I will have to do some serious meditation before I begin sewing this section 🙂
Here is a photo of the quilt so far.
I am sewing it in what to me seems to be logical sections or blocks, then I will sew those sections together.
To see other peoples works in progress check out Freshly pieced Wip Wednesday.