Dress finished, and with armholes !!!

By

 

finished

I began this little dress for my youngest grand-daughter earlier in the year, however at the same time I decided to make some baby quilts and shirts for myself.  The dress was put on the back-burner for awhile while I concentrated on the other projects, but a nagging thought entered my mind, “the baby is growing and the dress isn’t”.

I had finished the smocking but I kept putting off the construction of the dress, so last night I decided to get on with it.  Things were going great,  I made the piping for the collar, sleeve bands and skirt, attached the skirt to the bodice, piped and made the collar and then attached the bodice to the skirt.

collar

Collar piped and attached to bodice

sleeve

Sleeve band piped and attached to sleeve

Feeling very pleased with myself and the ease of how things went together I put the dress under the presser foot to sew up the side seams.

At that point I realised I had not cut the armhole shaping for the back.

The picture below is the back of the dress minus armhole shaping!

back no armholes

No armhole shaping on the back bodice

This doesn’t seem like a big deal but it meant having to unpick the bodice and bodice lining and then release the gathering stitches on the skirt back.  An omission I won’t make again.  I decided it was probably time to pack up for the night.

This morning with fresh eyes and mind I managed to unpick the necessary seams and successfully cut out the shaping for the armholes.

This meant I was able to continue and now the dress is finished and I am pleased with the outcome.

Thank you for visiting,

Maxine.

 

 

Advertisements